Deep Cove Schoolhouse
The present Deep Cove School House was built in 1889. The Deep Cove School House was the longest running one-room school house on the island, closing its doors in 1947. By this time it had become obvious that other island schools gave students a better opportunity to learn, providing high school classes and a bus to transport them. Other village schools on the island remained open until 1978.
The Building was moved onto the Museum property in 1963
Students were equipped with one text book, a slate, a slate pencil, a cloth and water bottle for cleaning the slate, a quill pen (later, a steel nib and wooden handle), and sometimes a note book to practice penmanship; these were all of the tools the student was expected to have.
With between 30-50 students in one room (although Deep Cove only had a high-end enrolment of 19), older students would sometimes be enlisted to help the younger students, although this method often had mixed results. At times, local school-age shenanigans replaced the need for academic excellence.
Source: Grand Manan Archives - we are always looking for people to go through our very large collection of photographs to help with identification. Please contact the Archives Office.